Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 1



Hi Family and Friends! We're glad you are joining us as we travel across the country...to the East this time.

We planned on leaving at around 10, so in Bellamy fashion, we pulled out of our driveway at 11:30. Scott and I were sweating profusely and the boys were sitting in the car eating cookies. What's wrong with this picture? We asked Drew what he thought the theme of our trip was this time. He said, "the Democracy Tour" and the theme of our trip was born. Aunt Renee and Uncle Chris made Bellamy Democracy Tour 2011 bags for them to take on the trip with snacks, books and other fun stuff. The boys loved them.

We got into St. Louis mid afternoon. Our reservations were for the Hilton at the ballpark. When we pulled in, we were immediately assaulted by a bellman. I was still trying to put my sunglasses away and he opened my door trying to get me out. They loaded our luggage and then left it in the lobby unattended. I checked in and then saw our things on the cart. I grabbed it and headed toward the elevators only to be chased down by the concierge. I guess you have to have a luggage cart license in order to operate one of those things. We decided the full service hotel thing is not us. We would not be good rich people. Fortunately, that is not a problem. :) The hotel was nice (except for really slow elevators). Our room had a great view of the ballpark. I bet David Welker would love that! Drew wished we were going to a game, so we'll have to do that next time.

After we got our things in the room, we decided to go for an early dinner. A carriage passed us and Drew said, "wow, that would be so cool to ride in one of those." So, we decided to go on one. Right then, an empty one pulled up and the driver asked if we'd like a ride. We said yes based on our conversation. Scott and I started that way, but both boys were frozen in their tracks. After a quick family huddle, we discovered that the carriage was pink, the driver was "hot" and they were embarrassed to be seen in the Barbie cart. We'd already said yes, so we told them we had to go. After a few minutes of humiliation, they forgot the cart color and seemed to enjoy the ride. The driver then dropped us off at an Irish Pub that she highly recommended.

As the waiter took our order, he asked Cole what he wanted. Cole told him the bleu cheese bacon burger (vegetarian mother is so confused). When the waiter asked him how he wanted his burger, Cole replied, "exactly what it says on the menu". Our formerly annoyed waiter was now laughing hysterically. He had to clarify, how did he want it cooked.

It was a beautiful night as we walked back to the hotel. There was a little park area next to the hotel, so we walked over to look at it. It provided a pretty good view of the arch!
We walked around the area and Drew found a fountain. Within seconds, he had his shoes and socks off and was in the water playing.Cole just wanted to ponder the purpose of the fountains. We went back to the hotel, so Scott and Drew could go to the pool. Cole and I stayed in the room and read. I'm reading "Room" by Emma Donoghue. Fascinating story so far. More later!

3 comments:

  1. OK, so what happened to day 3?

    You missed the infamous site of my accident in 2004 when I fell and broke my pelvis and hip socket at McKees Rocks, PA. It is across the river from Pittsburg. Plus University of Pittsburg Medical Center where I was a guest for 10 days. I am sure they still remember me there.

    Sounds like you are moving along as expected. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some strange reason day three just showed up. What the????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! Forgot to hit "publish" after my entry. It just saved it. Fortunately, I have a computer guy with me. :) We did think about you going through PA and wondered where you had your accident. Thanks for clearing that up! Glad to see you're following along with us. Enjoy your comments!

    ReplyDelete